The September 11th Victim Compensation Fund considers individuals to be victims of 9/11 toxins exposure if between September 11, 2001 and May 30, 2002 they were present:
- At Ground Zero
- In Lower Manhattan, south of Canal Street (working, living, etc.)
- At the Staten Island Fresh Kills Landfill
- In any area related to, or along, debris removal routes (piers, barges, transfer stations, etc.)
- In areas where WTC-contaminated vehicles were cleaned or rehabilitated
- At the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of New York City or temporary morgues
Individuals who were at one of the above locations may be eligible for 9/11 compensation. Conditions eligible for 9/11 compensation include cancer, respiratory illnesses, sleep apnea, and GERD (persistent heartburn). Families of those who have passed away, and suffered from a 9/11-related condition during their lifetime, may also be eligible for compensation.
The federal government has provided $7 billion in funding for the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund. The fund is due to expire on December 18, 2020. So, far the Fund has paid over $2 billion in 9/11 compensation.
Irrespective of the attackers intent, the 9/11 attacks were acts of chemical warfare. Atmospheric scientist Thomas Cahill commented “The debris pile acted like a chemical factory. It cooked together the components of the buildings and their contents, including enormous numbers of computers, and gave off gases of toxic metals, acids, and organics.”
After 9/11, the federal government told us the air was safe to breathe. We have since learned that the air was full of 9/11 toxins. Here are just some of the 9/11 toxins and carcinogens that polluted the air between September 11, 2001 and May 30, 2002:
- Crystalline silica
- Polychlorinated bethenyls (“PCB”)
- Jet fuel
- Transformer oil
- Computers (personal and mainframe)
- Polyvinyl chloride (“PVC”)
- Fluorescent light bulbs
- Electric cables
- Carbon monoxide
The attacks did not end on 9/11. The federal government estimates that 500,000 people were exposed to 9/11 toxins between September 11, 2001 and May 30, 2002.
To find out whether the federal government considers you a victim of 9/11 toxins exposure, contact Pitta & Baione LLP at 844-WTC-COMP or firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation.