9/11 Cancer Rate Soars 3800% in Five Years
In 2013, just five years ago, there were only 249 known cases of 9/11 cancer worldwide. As of June 30, 2018, there were nearly 10,000 known cases of 9/11 cancer. In other words, the 9/11 cancer rate has soared 3800% in just five years. While the shocking rise in 9/11 cancer diagnoses is cause for alarm, there is another reason for the incredible increase. Since 2013, victims of 9/11 toxins exposure are becoming increasingly aware of the 9/11-related conditions and benefits available under the Zadroga Act. By the end of 2013, the WTC Health Program had 66,868 total members. As of June 2018, the WTC Health Program had 88,484 total members. So, total WTC Health Program membership has risen 32% in just five years, which is a promising sign for 9/11 toxins exposure awareness.
However, it is terribly unsettling that in the same timeframe where total WTC Health Program membership rose 32%, the 9/11 cancer rate, among those members, rose 3800%. Unfortunately, making the situation even more bleak is the fact that the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health estimates 500,000 people were exposed to 9/11 toxins between 9/11/01 and 5/03/02. Of the 500,000 people who were exposed to 9/11 toxins, less than 20% have joined the WTC Health Program, and only 6% of 9/11 toxins exposure victims have filed claims for 9/11 victim compensation to the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (9/11 VCF).
In 2015, NIOSH predicted 35,000 new 9/11 cancer diagnoses between 2016 and 2025. Since 2016, there have been 4,356 new 9/11 cancer diagnoses. If the NIOSH predictions are accurate, there will be 30,644 diagnoses between now and 2025. It is unknown whether the rapid increase in new 9/11 cancer diagnoses will influence future NIOSH predictions of the 9/11 cancer rate.
While the WTC Health Program is fully funded through 2090, time is running out for potential victims of 9/11 toxins exposure determine if they are eligible for 9/11 victim compensation from the 9/11 VCF. The 9/11 VCF is due to expire on December 18, 2020. In general, individuals who were at the following locations between 9/11/01 and 5/30/02, and who developed an eligible physical condition, may be eligible for free healthcare and compensation:
- At Ground Zero
- In Lower Manhattan, south of Canal Street (working, living, etc.)
- At the Staten Island Fresh Kills Landfill
- In any area related to, or along, debris removal routes (piers, barges, etc.)
- In areas where WTC-contaminated vehicles or equipment were cleaned or rehabilitated.
- At the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner of New York City or temporary morgues.
Families of deceased individuals who fit the above criteria, may also be eligible for compensation. Compensation paid as a one-time lump sum tax-free payment.
What is 9/11 Cancer?
9/11 cancer is a cancer which has been deemed by the Federal Government to be caused by 9/11 toxins exposure at Ground Zero.
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) within the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) administers the World Trade Center Health Program (WTC Health Program). The James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act provided for the WTC Health Program and the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (9/11 VCF). The WTC Health Program provides free medical monitoring, treatment, and medication for “certified conditions” related to 9/11. The WTC Health Program has determined that the following cancers are related to 9/11 toxins exposure (i.e. the following 9/11 cancers are on the WTC Health Program list of covered conditions).
- Blood and Lymphoid Tissue Cancer (including, but not limited to, lymphoma, leukemia, and myeloma)
- Diffuse non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Follicular (nodular) non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Hodgkin’s disease
- Leukemia of unspecified cell type
- Lymphoid leukemia
- Malignant immunoproliferative diseases
- Monocytic leukemia
- Multiple myeloma and malignant plasma cell neoplasms
- Myeloid leukemia
- Other and unspecified lymphoid, hematopoietic, and related tissue
- Other and unspecified types of non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Other leukemias of specified cell type
- Peripheral and cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
- Digestive System Cancer
- Eye and Orbit Cancer
- Female Breast
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Accessory sinuses
- Base of tongue
- Floor of mouth
- Nasal cavity
- Other and ill-defined conditions in the lip, oral cavity, and pharynx
- Other and unspecified major salivary glands
- Other and unspecified part of the mouth
- Other and unspecified parts of the tongue
- Parotid gland
- Piriform sinus
- Respiratory System Cancer
- Skin Cancer (Melanoma and non-Melanoma)
- Soft Tissue
- Urinary System
For more information on 9/11 related cancer and 9/11 Victim Compensation, please contact Pitta & Baione LLP at 844-WTC-COMP or email@example.com.
Attorney advertising. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.