Our VCF Attorneys Secure Economic and Non-Economic Loss Awards for Victims of 9/11
If you are suffering from an illness or injury – particularly the kind of chronic and life-threatening conditions that are attributable to the toxic air conditions created by the September 11 attacks – you know that it can be financially as well as physically devastating.
The VCF attorneys at Pitta & Baione LLP are skilled at helping our clients identify and document the full range of their economic and non-economic losses, ensuring that they receive the maximum compensation allowable under the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund(VCF).
Economic Losses Recoverable from the Victim Compensation Fund
Generally, “economic damages” are compensation you receive for monetary losses. A financial award of economic damages is designed to make you financially whole so that you can focus on your own health and recovery.
By filing a claim for economic damages under the VCF, you may be able to recover any or all of the following:
- Past, current and future out-of-pocket healthcare costs, including testing and evaluations, ongoing treatment, prescription medications, long-term care or related medical expenses.
- Funeral, burial and memorial costs.
- Past, current and future lost income, if you are unable to work due to your condition
- Past, current and future employment benefits.
- “Replacement” services for daily tasks you are no longer able to perform for yourself, including housekeeping, childcare, lawn maintenance, transportation services or personal care. Wrongful death awards for financial losses are also available to families of deceased eligible individuals.
A financial award of economic damages is designed to make you financially whole so that you can focus on your own health and recovery. It is important to note, however, that while financial awards for replacement services are available under the VCF, they are only awarded in rare circumstances.
Non-Economic Losses Recoverable from the Victim Compensation Fund
“Non-economic damages” are monetary compensation you receive for a non-monetary loss. When you or a family member becomes seriously ill, your quality of life is severely impacted. An award of non-economic damages can provide compensation for pain and suffering associated with a 9/11-related physical health condition, including:
- chronic pain;
- emotional distress;
- inability to enjoy life; or
- inability to function normally.
These non-economic damages may be available even if you have not suffered substantial economic losses caused by an inability to work.
Are There Limits on How Much I Can Recover?
Yes. The VCF imposes some restrictions on financial awards:
- Non-economic damages associated with a cancer-related condition are capped at $250,000.
- Non-economic damages associated with a non-cancer-related condition are capped at $90,000.
- For purposes of calculating economic loss, the VCF caps Annual Gross Income at $200,000 for each year of loss.
Contact our VCF Attorneys Today to Evaluate Your Claim
Identifying, calculating and properly documenting economic and non-economic losses can be extremely complicated. Our VCF attorneys assist with every aspect of proving your claim under the VCF, so you do not have to bear this burden.
We have experience expediting claims for clients who may be suffering a terminal illness, experiencing rapidly deteriorating health or suffering extreme financial hardship. If you believe you have a claim, call our firm at 844-982-2667 for a free assessment.